Pages

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Six Chicks

Sonny and I have been discussing maybe getting some chicks for a few months now. I don't know if it's this way with every couple, but with Sonny and I, one of us is the "dreamer" and one of us is the "dream crusher." Guess which one I am? Ha! Oh, the ideas I've had that have been shot down by that sweet man. :) As frustrated as we both get by our constant roles, we are the perfect team...and I love that. When I first told The Boss I was thinking about getting chickens, he rolled his eyes at me. I was prepared for that. So, I just pretended like I didn't notice and rattled off the following list of reasons why chickens are brilliant:

1. It's a great way to teach our girls responsibility
2. They are (supposedly) really easy to care for
3. Free eggs
4. We live in a FARMhouse in the country
5. The girls will love it
6. It makes us more self-reliant
7. It would be fun to try to build a coop together
8. It's easier and cheaper than the Yorkie I've been wanting
9. I won't make you do everything
10. Why not?

In hindsight, I shouldn't have added that 10th thing because, of course, that launched him off into a whole list of his own reasons why chickens are a bad idea. Either way, I thought we should check them out at our local Tractor Supply store. It was just me and Ally the first time. We both swooned over all the tiny chicks and the darling ducklings and the fluffy bunnies. The next day, I took Sonny and all of the girls. We hadn't made any decisions. We were just browsing and asking questions and swooning. But then something happened. I put my hand in with one of the batches of chicks and one ran right up to me and hopped into my palm. She nestled her fuzzy little self in and as I petted her, she went right to sleep in my hand. I couldn't put her down. I just couldn't. Yes, we could come back another time and get chicks or we could do more research and order them online. But the problems still remained. I wanted THAT chick. At Tractor Supply, they make you buy at least 6 chicks. I've got no clue why that is, but we went with it. Each girl got to pick a chick. Even my dear dream-crusher picked one and I picked one more. Most of them are Americanas, but there are a couple others in there that I can't remember. There's a chance we may have gotten roosters. Oh, please don't ask me what we will do with roosters! I have no idea! We're just taking it one chirp-filled day at a time. I'm stalling on investing in a coop because I want to make sure we don't kill them first. Isn't that sad? But, on the other hand, see? I can be logical. In my research on coops though, I have found some pretty rad ones! Check these out!Now, before you get your hopes up. assuming we can keep these chicks alive, our coop will look nothing like these. We'll be lucky if we can pull off this Palais de Poulet:

Wish us cluck!

4 comments:

  1. This is too cute! I love your reasoning behind the investment! I know that falling in love feeling oh too well! Enjoy and if you need an extra hand trying to assemble a coop, I've got two!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow those are some amazing coops. I don't think I could even dream up one of those. Good luck. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you have me wanting chicks now too and better yet a farmhouse with a radtastic coop to go with. Farm fresh eggs?! yes please!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always an adventure going on. I can't believe how many people I know have chickens! My sis-in-law's family has some. They love it. It's so nice to have fresh eggs and be able to share.
    There are some cute coops. It would be another fun project together. Good luck with it all. It will be fun to see how it goes.

    ReplyDelete