Pages

Sunday, September 21, 2008

Goose Violence


Sonny was busy yesterday so I decided to take the girls for a picnic at the duck park. Of course, it isn't actually called Duck Park, but I have no idea what the real name is so we all just call it that. Anyway, we had a nice lunch and I brought extra bread so that Ry and Maddie could feed the ducks. But the ducks were completely crowded out by a massive goose gang. They were hardened, hungry, and hostile. Street geese. Things got ugly fast and within seconds we were completely surrounded by nearly fifty of them- I know because I counted. They were charging us, probably flashing goose gang signs to each other behind our backs to better coordinate their attack... and maybe also to insult us, I don't know. For a second there, I thought we were all going to die. I instinctively put my hand in the air (I only had one hand free because the other was holding/trying to protect Ally) and threw some bread at them saying, "Here! Take anything you want- Just let the kids go!" But it was too late. One of them dove at Ryen and bit at her hand and the bread she was holding in it. Apparently, it thought she was the other other white meat. I thought it was going to eat her alive- and so did she. Both girls started screaming and wrapped themselves around my legs. With Ally in one hand and a child on each leg, I used my free arm to swat at the attackers as I tried to make my way back to our car. It was a narrow escape, people. We are lucky to be alive.

7 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! That's so scary! Every time Benson wants to chase the swans at our park I get so nervous because I'm scared of this very thing. I'm glad you made it out alive. Eesh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can TOTALLY sympathize with your plight! Geese are MEAN!! We have a whole gang of them right around the corner from our house and I have been bitten. They're the worst when they have babies around. A cop pulled someone over on that corner and I saw him get attacked as well. They don't even have respect for the law! He had to use his night stick to defend himself! I'm glad you survived to tell the tale. It was very entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikers!!! That is crazyness....I would have been so scared...I am glad you guys are still with us!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my hilarious! Don't go again unless you are strapped!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't help it, I am laughing my head off. You are so funny and yet that is so horrible! I would be so freaked out too! Poor girl! I'll remember to steer clear of feeding geese! Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had a very similar experience when Aidan was a baby. Matt thought it would be fun to take him to feed the geese. I had already been chased by geese in my life so I knew it was a bad idea. He didn't think it was going to be as bad as I said it was. Maybe because I tend to be a little dramatic. Anyway, I took the last two pieces of bread and he ended up running to the car with Aidan. What a whimp.
    Glad you made it out alive.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha ha ha ha! You always make me laugh so hard. I have been scared of ducks and geese since Payton was small and this story once again reassures me of my phobia. Those darn geese attacking an innocent family! Good grief!

    ReplyDelete