
After a week of hearing Madelyn ask if it was valen time, it finally was. I remember loving Valentine's Day when I was a kid. From the parent's perspective, it is still fun, but WAY more work. Good heck! The cupcakes, the goodies, the cards, the class parties... it's enough to make your head spin. Despite all of the hard work (or perhaps because of it) we had a seriously fun loooove day. I feel truly blessed to have four valentines to smooch on. :)
I've been thinking a lot lately about how important it is to be mindful of our blessings now... in the moment. It's easy to look back and see how blessed we were, but at the time we only saw the dishes to be washed and diapers to be changed. A little boy in Madelyn's class passed away. I keep thinking about his seat being empty when I take her to school again and about the little valentine we made for him-that all of the children made for him, but he will never see. I keep thinking about his mother. I ache for her. With her in mind, I cannot be angry when my children make messes and don't clean them up. I can't be frustrated when they forget to wash their hands or turn the TV up too loud. Each sticky kiss and delighted giggle lingers in my heart a little longer than before. I've let my kids have two cupcakes when I would normally only let them have one. I've taken them on walks that lasted a little longer and read them stories a little more slowly. I've held their perfect faces in my hands and looked into their beautiful eyes as I have said, "I love you with all of my heart" with all of my heart. May I never forget how blessed I am.
What a beautiful post! My heart goes out to that family with the loss and right at Valentine's Day, too. You are blessed, Megan, and sometimes God uses special days just to let us know how much! Have a great week!
ReplyDeleteThat made me get all teary Meg! I have been thinking the same thing. We got out our family videos the other night to watch and I couldn't help wonder if I soaked up every precious moments of them like I should have. It's a good reminder to love every minute.
ReplyDeleteMegan,
ReplyDeleteYou must write books about things like this! You say such profound thoughts and it would touch the hearts of so many. Consider it along with your pictures - oh what you could do!
We are so happy to have you in our family to share such wonderful reminders to us all !
Happy Valentines' to all the Hastings
Thank you so much for that post. It really touched me. I understand the frustration part and the blessing part. Thanks for reminding me to look for the blessing part more and easy up on the frustration part.
ReplyDeleteThat was a powerful post, Meg!
ReplyDeleteOur next-door neighbor family includes a little girl, about a year and a half older than Helena, who has leukemia...her prognosis is good, and she'll probably be just fine, but I was talking with her the other day, and she's lost all of her hair, and...it reminded me that I have two beautiful, healthy children and a very loving, joyful life. Never hurts to have a reminder.
ReplyDeleteI'm going to pray for the family who lost their little boy.
Thanks, Megan.
As usual...a beautiful post by Megan. You are creating memories right here with this fabulous blog. I hope you are saving each post somehow. I know your girls will grow up to appreciate the time and effort that you put in to savoring each memory and feeling you have about them.
ReplyDeleteI love and value you Meg!
I have to admit I have a few tears too. Nothing touches me more than our sweet little ones. We are so blessed!
ReplyDeleteTrue that!!! I am savoring every single moment with my little man!!!
ReplyDelete