Pages

Friday, March 26, 2010

David Gray



The first time I ever heard David Gray, it was love at first sound. It's hard to explain, actually. His voice, his music... it goes all the way in. Other music may get in my ears or even sometimes my heart, but nothing else soaks down to my soul. It really is hard to explain. David's music has had a profound affect on me. I have memories assigned to each of his songs- not intentionally. It just happened. His music is the soundtrack of my life. So, when I found out his latest tour was taking him to Indianapolis, I didn't even hesitate. On my list of things to do before I die, seeing him perform was near the top of the list.


Now, I'm not really a "celebrity" person. Though David Gray's music means more to me than I can say, I can't tell you where he was born or when his birthday is. Having said that, I wanted to meet him. Not so I could shake hands with someone famous, but so I could thank him. It sounds strange, but I knew I was going to get that chance. When the concert started, it was all I could do to make it through the opening band. When David finally started to play, I can't even tell you how awesome it was. He amazed me. I was utterly enraptured. A lot of artists sound so horrible live. David Gray is even better. Seriously...he blew my mind. He went from one song to the next like a music machine. No breaks. No chatting it up. Just music. Brilliant, captivating, life-changing music. I actually cried a few times. I couldn't help it. It was just so...beautiful...and amazing. I realize what an idiot I sound like, but don't worry. I didn't look like this girl:

When the concert was over the room exploded with applause and screams and it didn't stop for what seemed like an eternity. David came back and stood center stage- just him and his guitar. He sang a song he's never recorded and I hadn't heard before. It was so beautiful. He sang several songs and then his band all came back out and played a bunch more. It was like going to a whole other concert. Unbelievable.

When it ended, we asked one of the workers there where the musicians exit the building and we went outside. The stage exit was just right there- next to the main entrance. I waited with a handful of people while Sonny went to get the car. (We were naughty and parked somewhere we probably shouldn't have.) By the time Sonny got back (just a few minutes later) there I was, standing next to David Gray. It's insane how easy it all was. I got his autograph and everything, but mainly I'm just so happy that I was able to say thank you to him in person. I think he genuinely appreciated it too. He is the nicest person. He stood out there signing autographs for at least half an hour after working so hard on stage for two hours straight. He was so kind to everyone and so down to earth. Sonny was amazed. It was awesome. I know it makes me sound like a total nerd, but it was seriously one of the neatest experiences of my life.




Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

3 comments:

  1. Sounds pretty sweet to me! You lucky bum. That is neat how his music really touches you. It is nice to have that. I am so glad you got to go to the concert! Yay for David Gray! He does have some good music.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you got away with Sonny for even such a short time, but to have the bonus of having someone edify and uplift you like that is a real blessing. Sometimes life gives us little sneak peaks into a celestial life, eh? Good for you! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Meggie! That is seriously so awesome! I'm so very glad you got to experience that!

    ReplyDelete