
I remember when I was a little girl, I went through this phase where I raided my mom's closet and wore her button-up shirts with leggings and chunky jewelry. My dad and brothers teased me, but I felt strangely comfortable with my choices. I remember this feeling, but it has been so long that it's hard to even put my finger on it now. Was it pride? Was it confidence? Was it independence? Maybe it was just ignorant bliss. Though I wouldn't repeat most of my childhood fashion offenses again, it's hard not to envy that feeling my younger self was so much more familiar with.
After I gained weight as a teenager and continued to gain weight throughout my adult life, I no longer looked at clothing as a form of expression, but a form of disguise. Trying to be fashionable felt like putting a diamond bracelet on a baked potato so I did myself (and the world) a favor and barely even tried. I feel sad about that now. Not because I would do it better if I could go back in time- because I don't know if I could, but because I lost a piece of myself during those years of sitting in the back row. I've been trying to get in touch with that dear lost friend so I can appologize for neglecting her and put her to work again. It's so much harder than it seems! At 32, I'm starting from scratch. I have no idea what my style is...what is me. I'm still adjusting to just having "normal" clothing fit me. Maybe it's not important that I figure this out, but it feels important and something inside of me says it is...for some reason. I need to know.
I've always liked Ruche, but never allowed myself to purchase anything from them before. I felt guilty placing my order and even a little foolish. As it turns out, most of what I ordered will be returned. However, one piece of clothing felt right to me. It's called the Swing By My Side lace dress. I paired it with a Gap (thrifted) t-shirt, skinny jeans from the clearance rack at Target, flats from TJ Maxx, and a hat I wear alarmingly often. Does it work? I have no idea. Does it look good on me? Probably not. (Do I care? Not really.) Did it give me that feeling I remember feeling when I was younger and more sure of myself? You know what? It did. And that was really nice.
You have always been beautiful and you are even more so now. I LOVE your style!
ReplyDeleteI think you look B-E-A-utiful. The first shot with you and the suitcases is amazing!
ReplyDeleteI could gush on and on about how amazing I think you are (your writing, creativity, photography)! But I won't...simply put I have always looked up to you and always will! Stay beautiful!
ReplyDeleteYou are so cute Megan!! I love Ruche and also look forward to the day when I can buy from them. You look so good and you can seriously wear whatever you want!! And it doesn't hurt that you have good style. Congratulations on all of your hard work and this new you that you are now enjoying and getting to know.
ReplyDeleteYou are too cute Meg. I love your style. It fits you perfectly. I am glad you got to feel those feelings. Miss you.
ReplyDeleteI like your style and would love to emulate it. You are stunning, to put it simply. Someday, I hope to be like you. That's all.
ReplyDeleteYou look like a true fashionista!
ReplyDeleteyou know what? when i clicked on this i never would have guessed that this was a post about finding your style. that outfit is pretty much exactly how i picture you and always have:) maybe because your girls are always dressed so stylish. Now can you come dress me?
ReplyDeleteoh look! Sonny left the first comment :) !!!!!! How sweet. sonny is the best.
ReplyDeleteHey Meg, I have always felt you were so beautiful and the nice thing is - you still are! Love you!
ReplyDelete{rubbing my hands together mischievously} I can't WAIT to talk fashion this summer! I'm so happy for you, Meg!
ReplyDeleteI love the honesty of this post...made me cry. You are the epitome of beauty. Love you forever, for always.
ReplyDeleteI understand all of your feelings ALL TO WELL - I don't know how to get in touch with my old lost friend... I miss her, but after living so long as a baked potato - it feels like they have nothing in common any more. Every time I start to make progress - then I make reverse progress and back to square one. If you happened to have any advice for an old baked potato I would hear it!!!
ReplyDeleteOn the other hand, from what I have seen of your life I can only imagine that you are surrounded by your style and the essence of you permeating through the people and things that you choose... It probably will just take you time to feel "normal" in your own skin.
I have always admired you AND your look - right down to how cute you look in a baseball cap.
I saw a truck from Rocky Mount, NC today and thought about you in Michigan...
hang in there it will come.