Pages

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

E-I-E-I-O

While our neighbors and friends, the Betts, were out of town, they let us hold down the farm. I may or may not have volunteered. :) They live really close to us and let us come over previously to play with their newborn goats. Oh my goodness! Did you know goats were friendly and fun like little dogs? They are! Our kids had such a blast with them. So...when it was farmin' time, we were ready. Or...as ready as we could be, I should say. I was a little apprehensive about milking a goat. I'd be apprehensive milking anything, actually. But, after I was convinced I wasn't hurting Miss Marcella and I kind of got used to it, it wasn't so bad. In fact, I'm a pretty dang good goat-milker, if I do say so myself. Ha! Sonny and the girls even did it. We are pretty much professional farmers now, so... :)


Ally was so cute with the animals! She looooooved it more than I can even explain! She chased those little goats all over until she'd corner one of the babies. Then, she would just laugh and love on it until she found a new one to chase. She would say "farm" first thing in the morning and keep asking to go all day. When it was finally time to go, she'd RUN and bring me her shoes and her jacket as fast as her little legs could carry her! She was in absolute heaven surrounded by all of those fun animals! (Ryen and Maddie loved it too, but they were more excited about the trampoline.)

We made Ryen and Maddie help get the eggs from the chicken coup. At first, they were totally positive they were going to get pecked to death and we were going to leave them to die on the straw-covered floor. But, after some encouragement and a few successful grabs, they got the hang of it and did their job with confidence and pride. :) Sonny and I couldn't stop laughing at the chickens/or hens? with feathers down to their claws because it looked like they were wearing little chicken bell-bottoms. Don't the two on the right look like Elvis?

When the Betts came home, their farm was still standing. As far as we know, nothing died or disappeared. Does that mean we were a smashing success? Um. Yes. Yes, it does.

4 comments:

  1. What a great experience. It would be so hard though. Glad it was a smashing success! I'd have been so nervous I'd screw everything up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that is so much fun. You guys can do it all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing Megan! I would have been scared of the chickens too. I don't know what it is about large birds that are scary. How fun for your girls!

    ReplyDelete
  4. the girls will never forget that experience and I wouldn't be surprised if animals didn't start appearing at your farm sometime in the future. Ha! Never would have believed it - good for you!!!

    ReplyDelete