Pages

Thursday, November 5, 2009

Demolition Day



I am sooooo tired. We've spent the past couple days at our new (old) house. We are replacing almost every single light fixture inside and out and also doing tons of painting. We're trying to get the upstairs ready for carpeting next week. In the girls' playroom, there was the most awful wallpaper that had to go. But, for some reason soooo far beyond my understanding, the people who put the wallpaper up did it by sticking it on sheets of super flimsy wood and then nailing and GLUING it to the walls. I spent the day taking molding off windows and door frames and then prying sheets of wallpaper-laden wood off the walls. It was hard work and a total nightmare. I got all of the wood off, but now we're not sure what to do about the glue. (Anyone know?) Then, I spent the evening pulling up all of the existing carpet in our upstairs. It was icky and it was heavy and it ripped my hands to shreds. But I did it! I know what you're thinking. "You mean you and Sonny, right?" Uh. No. I mean me. Where was my dear husband? I don't know. I choose to believe he was somewhere doing something utterly brilliant and helpful, but I have my suspicions. All I know is, I am seriously tougher than I thought I was. And also...I am totally getting a manicure after we are all moved in.

4 comments:

  1. For the glue, Home Depot sells solution type stuff that you put on the walls and then we used a scraper type tool to scrape it off after it had kinda softened. Sorry ... I'm probably just confusing you more, but go to Home Depot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol...That is awesome Meg! You go girl. I knew you had it in you. Sounds like you are going to town. I really wish I could be there helping. I am sooooo excited to see you this weekend!!!! Keep up the good work sista!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was going to ask to see pictures tonight, but I guess I don't have to now :) You really are tough! I always feel that way in a renovation too. It makes you do things you never thought you would!

    As for the paint, I would put Joel on it tomorrow :) He has lots of experience with this particular area and I'm sure he'll be thrilled :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. yikes that does not sound like fun, however, i am completely impressed with your remodeling skills, i wouldn't know how to do any of that...note to self watch hgtv!!! not that i know if that is where you learned it, but it could help me! good luck you guys, it will be worth it in the end when you have everything looking marvelous!

    ReplyDelete