I'm still working on my staircase remodel, but in the meantime, I finished this salvaged window project. (I'm sharing it so you can help us decide something.) I don't have a fancy lettering machine thing so I just had to wing it on this project. (Get it? Wing?) I went to several stores in search of the perfect pre-made lettering, but didn't really like any of the phrases. I did, however, like the birds and branches decal I found at Target for $9.99. Oh Target- you never fail me! :) I would have liked it better with fewer colors, but beggars can't be choosers, can we? So, I decided to just go for it in the name of finishing a project and figured I could always change the decal later. The lettering was done with rub-on transfers I snagged at a craft store. I wrote "Summerfield" because that is what we have named our home. Isn't it lovely? :) Sonny and I were told that our home was built in 1890 but want to be totally sure before I add that part to the window. Here's the part we need your advice on... Would you put the est. date as the date our home began or the date our family began living in our home? I think our family was established in 2000, but our home was established in 1890. Sonny doesn't agree. Help?

Wouldn't you put 2009 as when your family as established in Summerfield?
ReplyDeleteBut you could get really small letters and do a
B. 1890 built in 1890 and then an est. for your family either 2000 or 2009
Melissa is a genius. Just listen to her. :)
ReplyDeleteEspecially the part about b. 1890... I would steer clear of est. 1890 cuz it just doesn't make too much sense unless it's been in the family since then. But b. 1890, est. 2009 sounds great!
Goodness, it's so confusing! I really like that idea though, Melissa. I knew you guys would save me from a brain explosion. I'll run it by The Man and see what he thinks about THAT one. :)
ReplyDeleteI agree with Melissa and think if you can make it look the way you like, adding those would be a good way to go and really cute.
ReplyDeleteIf you want it more simplified, I kind of like the est. 1890 because it would have a classic, yet vintagey feel. Especially since that is when the house was built/born. And since you put 'Summerfield' on the window, maybe the date it was built/born could have that old date.
Just my 2 cents. Take it or leave it. :)
Oh, and I DO have a Cricut if you ever want to come over and play with it! Or ask me to make something for you! I'm buying the SCAL program so that I can use my own fonts etc instead of buying those expensive cartridges.
Since Caity is leaving us (cry,cry....weep, weep), I will get her the Pepsi box asap!
OOPS! I meant I like the B. 1890, not est. 1890. I agree that established usually means when people became a family etc.
ReplyDeleteAnd I forgot to say that the window is SUPER adorable! I love that you made this! I've had an old window sitting in my bedroom just waiting for me to do something with it for years. Like 7 yrs! And of course, just last week I bumped it and broke the glass. Ugh.
I guess I agree with the B. 1980 and as a family you were established in 2000, 2009 would throw me off but maybe that's because I'm a little slow in the head and wouldn't think "Oh, established in the house at that time!" but that's just simple little me :)
ReplyDeleteVery cute. I'm going to remember this idea for the future.